- If you need to buy iTunes Apps you will use a voucher. Follow the procedure below for paid apps.
Apple Volume Purchase Program:
Apps for iPad
Program Manager: The SCOE staff who are registered with Apple to purchase vouchers
Program Facilitator: The SCOE staff who receives the vouchers via e-mail from Apple and then buys applications at http://volume.itunes.apple.com/us/store. The Program Facilitator then downloads the apps into Meraki to push out to the end user.
End User: The person who is actually using an iPad.
Apps: Software applications which run on the iPad. Apps can be free or cost money. End users must have a license for each iPad which uses the app.
License: The owner of the application (SCOE) allows users to install legally one copy per iPad.
Voucher: Program Managers do a Purchase Order with Apple in quantities of $100, $500, $1,000 or $5,000 (with increments of $100) that enable SCOE to buy applications. Vouchers do not expire.
Volume Purchase: Educational entities may receive a 50% discount on 20+ copies of an application. The block of 20+ must be purchased at one time.
This screen will show only applications which qualify for Apple Education Purchase. All purchases are done with a SCOE voucher, not a gift card or private account. End Users can browse for apps here then request the app by e-mailing the help desk with the link to the app at email@example.com to purchase them (with supervisor approval).
SCOE Volume Purchase Program:
How It Works at SCOE
Authorized Program Managers: Darlene Sather and Angie Cooper from the Purchasing Department are the SCOE staff registered with Apple Education, with rights to purchase vouchers.
Program Facilitator: Melinda Allington is the Program Facilitator; the Program Facilitator will redeem the vouchers, send the app licenses to Meraki to be pushed out to the end user. Network services will keep track of device and software custody through Meraki.
End Users: We currently have over 300 registered iPads owned by SCOE. Most users have one iPad some are in charge of many.
How to request an app: All app requests (including free apps) must be e-mailed to the help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. Paid apps need Department Manager’s approval. E-mail app link from the VPP Educational site (link above), quantity of apps needed, who the app is for (teacher/employee name, student name if applicable), room number where the iPad is located if applicable, and/or serial number of the iPad. Please specify whether it is a paid or free app. Please ensure you have voucher money available for paid apps (you may contact Melinda Allington for this information). If not then you will need to purchase vouchers as described above under “Voucher”.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Do I need an iTunes account? No
2. Can I buy apps on my own for my SCOE iPad and get reimbursed? No, all purchases need to be made using the Volume Purchase Program.
3. Why is VPP & Meraki necessary?
- VPP provides volume discounts
- SCOE owns purchased apps
- Free apps can be pushed to groups of iPads through Meraki
4. Can my department buy gift cards to purchase apps? No, K-12 Education sites are directed to use the iTunes Education App Store using the voucher program. Audit procedures require SCOE ownership of apps and gift cards would be considered a gift of public funds.
5. Can I "buy" free apps for a SCOE student iPad? Yes, by e-mailing the help desk at email@example.com
6. Can I have a personal iTunes account for my own use? No
7. Can apps I purchase for my personal, home use also be installed on my SCOE iPad? No, the license for personal, home use allows multiple installs only on devices you own, not a SCOE iPad.
8. Can I move an app to another iPad? You may request to move an app through the help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org
9. How do I remove an app? You may request to remove an app through the help desk at email@example.com